California wildfires: The day Paradise burned down

The full story of the deadliest and most destructive wildfire in California's history.

(Translated) ​ភ្លើង​ឆេះ​ព្រៃ​នៅ​កាលីហ្វ័រញ៉ា​៖​ ​ថ្ងៃ​ឋានសួគ៌​ត្រូវបាន​ដុត​បំផ្លាញ​ រឿងរ៉ាវពេញលេញនៃភ្លើងឆេះព្រៃដែលសាហាវនិងបំផ្លាញបំផុតនៅក្នុងប្រវត្តិសាស្ត្រកាលីហ្វ័រញ៉ា

Share Story

@ bbc.com14d ago144.3K1
Read

Facebook Comments

Kim Nichols commented
a year ago

Santa Ana winds are a phenomenon specific to Southern California where in late Fall, the hot, dry wind blows from desert territory toward offshore at crazy fast speeds. The wind in the Paradise fire was not part of the Santa Ana pattern. Also the Walmart parking lot where evacuees are camping is not in Paradise, but a neighboring town where the fire hasn’t been. It’s a catastrophic mess out there, for sure.

Celia Moore commented
a year ago

Have a look at Peter DaSilva Photography fb page. He was a photographer there and has a very moving story about Hilary Johnson and her horse Augie.

Roy Dellar commented
a year ago

It's very sad to see such a terrible event unfolding in the USA hope things can return to normal as soon as possible all the very best to you all

Dawn Soriano commented
a year ago

Walmart survived because it’s in Chico.

Larry Lem commented
a year ago

So, Gov. Brown, do you have 100 fire-fighting C-130s on order? Maybe ordered 2-4 years ago since these massive fires are so frequent? What's the delivery schedule?

Julie Le commented
a year ago

What happened to Karen and Wendy??? Did they die??

Jennifer Mcdermott commented
a year ago

Thank you. I’m sharing so my Californian friends can contribute, one of whom’s house burned down in Malibu.

Katherine N Brent Radley commented
a year ago

Why are the houses all burnt to the ground but the trees are still there left unburnt ? Do some reserch for your self wake up people !!!

Lamin Mbaye commented
a year ago

As always great story from BBC. Condolences to those who suffered from C.F.. God bless

Rachel Allee Schleiger commented
a year ago

0900 on 11/7 (day before the fire) Started my Fire Ecology lesson with my Butte College Field Bio class. 1000 on 11/17 Showed an evacuation preparation list to my students that showed what things you should pack depending on how much time you have to evacuate. 1015 on 11/7 Finished lecture with students feeling strongly about how dangerous fire can be in this current Ca environment 0730 on 11/8 (one hour after fire started) My husband looked out our window in Magalia and said, “We need to pack to evacuate now!” 0732 on 11/18 Looked out the window myself and thought, “Oh no..... I hope some of my students who live in Paradise made a plan after class and are getting the f*** out!”

Jennifer Polzin Fox commented
a year ago

The winds were not Santa Ana winds! We don’t get Santa Ana winds in No. CA. The WalMart where the tent camp is/was located is in Chico- 15 miles away.

Christina Sartain Mueller commented
a year ago

The story does not begin at 6:29. It begins sooner. It begins a few days before with PG&E emailing the customer that had a sparking line on her property and informing her they would be out to fix it. The customer was out of town and did not know if PG&E showed up. Then PG&E, emailed customers of a scheduled power outage for 4:00 AM on the day of the fire. The shut-off NEVER happened. The Camp Fire did. Unlike most utility companies in California, PG&E gives area managers bonuses based off of customer satisfaction...not safety standards. Someone was supposed to turn the power off. Someone didn’t. How do I know? My friend that lost her home is disabled. By law she has to be notified of a potential power outage. She was emailed by PG&E.

Jill Rose commented